Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Icing - More DT work for Cookin' UP Creations

We've been celebrating over at Cookin' Up Creations our 4th years up and running as a fun scrapbooking, card making & more forum. I am in charge of todays challenge - I decided that we should have some cake. As we all know every birthday party has a wonderfully iced cake as part of the celebration. So, in honor of all iced birthday cakes - I give you this challenge. It's a simple and fun. 

Here is my finished layout. I give you some step by step directions how I made my background and title below.

Image
I was able to save the heart stickers and use them on the layout.

Some Close-ups and details.

As you can see my masks moved a bit - I like the look. If you don't just put more repostitionable adhesive.




Here is what you will need. Your background paper ** Note this is a way to use up any older paper or paper with a pattern you are not sure how to use. You know what I am talking about. We all have those in our stash, some stickers (that you don't mind throwing away) & paints/mists. Paint brush & A ruler optional.
Image
I used older cloud 9 paper, stickopotamus stickers & American Crafts letter stickers, I also use but not shown in the picture above Studio Calico kraft heart stickers & Studio Calico masks. Some paint & Heidi Swapp mists.

I first drew light lines where I wanted my title to be on the paper. I then stuck down the letter stickers and then heart stickers ** Note - I first place my stickers on my shirt or pants just to remove some of the stickiness. Decided where I wanted the masks.
Image
I then covered the the paper with the paint and mists. I just stroke it across the paper not worrying to blend it to much. I like it that way. You can blend it more to your liking. 
Image

Waiting about a minute, removed the stickers being as careful as possible not the smear the paint. Since it's acrylic paint it doesn't take very long. As you can see i wasn't as successful with the masks but, i like the look either way (I think I needed more repostitionable adhesive on them). To reveal the background paper giving you a fun icing effect to your page.
Image
Image
Image
I then let the paper dry completely. If you can't wait - you can use your heat tool to dry it.

Now, if you are not into covering your entire background here is another option. Just cover a portion of your background like I did in this sample. I also use cardstock. I outlined & doodled the letters.
At Rainbow's End You'll Find the Good Life


No comments: