Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sweet Sister Floral Mixed Media Canvas with Rina and Rita Barakat

This month we here at Rinea are having a collaboration with Rita Barakat. We're creating projects using her amazing stamps and stencils. I decided to create a mixed media canvas using Rita Barakat's Sweet Sisters Heart 6x6 Stencil and the Princess Variety Artist Pack.

Now, if you are not familiar with mixed media - it's when you combine several types of media (paint, watercolor,pencil/pen, paper, fibers and stamps-etc) to create art work.

I created this sweet mini canvas board - love this size because is perfect for any wall space. 



Let's gather the materials:
Canvas Board - 6" x 6" - Greenbrier Intl, Inc. Dollar Tree
Plaid/ Folkart Paint Metallic Periwinkle 669 
Artist Loft Watercolor Paints Regular and Metallic (pictured are Faber Castel watercolor pencils not used)
Sharpie Marker - Fine Point - Black
Dies: Various Brands - Florals and word die Love
Martha Stewart Multi-heart Punch
Adhesive: Aleene's Tacky Glue in Clear & Foam adhesive
Optional: Puffy heart sticker - EK Success Sticko Brand
Tools: Paint brush, Cuddlebug die cutting Machine


Let's get started on the canvas:
I started by tracing the stencil onto the canvas with my sharpie marker. Then, I painted the background with the acrylic paint avoiding the traced area. Set aside to dry. Once dry I used the Sharpie to connect the lines and add a few more to the hair.




Now, I start adding my first layer of watercolor to the face and hair. Using the regular watercolor paints



Next, I added another layer of color and  more details with the metallic watercolor paints. I also colored the eyes and lips with the metallic paints. Set aside to dry.

While the canvas dries I die cut several leaves from the Starstruck Silver and Starstruck Jade paper and flowers from Starstruck Blush Pink, Starstruck Lavender Light Purple and Glossy Lavender Light Purple to use as a floral crown. Then, I drew a light line across the sweet girl's head to help me with placement of the leaves. 
      

Next, add all the die cut flowers to finish forming the crown. Also I added some at her neckline along with the die cut word Love from Glossy Lavender Light Purple paper. For a finishing touch I added some punched hearts from the Starstruck Blush Pink paper and a small puffy heart sticker to her cheek.

I hope you enjoyed this project and give it a try for yourself. Be sure to share your project with us on social media. Thank you for stopping by today.

Have a crafty day!